RN I - Med Surg
Company: US Oncology, Inc
Posted on: May 26, 2023
Texas Oncology is looking for a Registered Nurse to join our team! This position will support the Granbury location. Hours will be 8:30a - 5:00p, Monday - Friday. Travel will be to Granbury and Wastherford sites regularly.
This position will be either a level 1, II or Sr based on candidate work experience.
Texas Oncology is the largest community oncology provider in the country and has approximately 600+ providers in 220+ sites across Texas and southeastern Oklahoma. Our founders pioneered community-based cancer care because they believed in making the best available cancer care accessible to all communities, allowing people to fight cancer at home with the critical support of family and friends nearby. Our mission is still the same today-at Texas Oncology, we use leading-edge technology and research to deliver high-quality, high-touch, evidence-based cancer care to help our patients achieve "More breakthroughs. More victories." in their fight against cancer. Today, Texas Oncology treats half of all Texans diagnosed with cancer on an annual basis.
Why work for us?
Come join our team that is responsible for helping lead Texas Oncology in treating more patient diagnosed with cancer than any other provider in Texas. We offer our employees a competitive benefits package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Short-term and Long-term disability coverage, a generous PTO program, a 401k plan that comes with a company match, a Wellness program that rewards you practicing a healthy lifestyle, and lots of other great perks such as Tuition Reimbursement, an Employee Assistance program and discounts on some of your favorite retailers.
What does the Registered Nurse do? (including but not limited to)
Under general supervision, provides professional nursing care for patients adhering to national and company standards and guidelines for specialty regulations. Demonstrates knowledge of physiological, psychological, and developmental and age specific differences in the patient population including late adolescence, adulthood, middle age, and the elderly. Collaborates with the interdisciplinary team to provide for assessment and therapeutic management of patient/family needs. Supports and adheres to the US Oncology Compliance Program, to include the Code of Ethics and Business Standards.
The essential duties and responsibilities:
* See below for supplementary language regarding Specialty Specific Requirements (e.g. transplant, infusion) as applicable.
Plan, implement, coordinate, evaluate and promote the continuity of care consistent with established standards and practices.
* Assesses health status by interviewing patient regarding current status and medical history.
* Collects and records nursing assessment and interventions.
* Reviews and reports the results of the health status assessment and physical examination, pertinent laboratory data, radiographic data and psychosocial assessment of assigned patients to the provider.
* Assesses patient/family needs and provides teaching and other instructional material.
* Provides psychosocial support to patients and families.
* Maintains patient confidentiality.
Prepares and administers therapies under the direction and supervision of a physician.
* Administers all medications/blood products using correct medication/blood product, dosage/amount, route, time and technique.
* Assures pre-authorization and appropriate consent forms are obtained prior to administration of therapies where applicable.
* Facilitates dose modification by assessing patient, assessing labs, consulting protocol or treatment plan, calculating dose, and consulting physician regarding dosage modifications, problems and symptom management
* Performs venipuncture, accesses implanted ports and maintains central lines catheter devices.
* Maintains accurate documentation of assigned patient care and treatments provided.
* Applies knowledge of reimbursement procedures and charge capture.
Maintains work environment
* Restocks the supply area as needed.
* Follows OSHA guidelines when handling cytotoxic agents, biohazardous waste and any other material potentially infected with a blood borne pathogen.
* Maintains all disinfection protocols.
* Maintains equipment according to quality control standards.
Facilitates clinical operations and patient care
* Manages patient medication refill requests from the pharmacy telephone line and records the information in the patient chart.
* Assists physician with exams and procedures.
* Maintains efficient and appropriate patient flow in and out of exam rooms.
* Facilitates and schedules consultations, pre-testing, diagnostic tests or procedures, referrals and future appointments for patients.
* Triages patient phone calls as needed and documents relevant information in the patient's chart.
* As necessary, facilitates communication between patient/family and interdisciplinary team and coordinates services related to patient care.
* Assist patients in locating available community resources.
* Other duties as assigned.
Inter professional collaboration
* Assist and collaborate with clinical research.
* Acts as a resource to LPN/LVNs and medical assistants.
* Provides nursing coverage for the satellite offices as needed.
Participates in professional development activities and maintains current knowledge of oncology nursing by participating in ongoing educational opportunities.
The ideal candidate for the position will have the following background and experience:
* Graduate from an accredited program for professional nursing education, BSN preferred.
* RN state license and current registration with the State Board of Nursing in practicing state.
* Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
* Must maintain continuing education requirements.
* 0-3 years nursing experience, preferably at least one year in oncology
Level Sr (in addition to level 1 requirements)
* Five years nursing experience, including at least one year in oncology preferred*
* Oncology certification preferred
Environment (Office, warehouse, etc.)
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. There is a possible exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, medical preparations and other conditions common to an oncology/hematology clinic environment.
Physical Requirements (Lifting, standing, etc.)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity, and eye-hand coordination. Requires standing and walking for extensive periods of time. Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 40 lbs. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range.
(This description is general in nature and is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Other duties may be assigned as needed to meet company goals.)
* Specialty Specific Responsibilities
* Position Summary: Provides nursing care from initial patient contact through high dose chemotherapy followed by stem cell rescue to follow-up care post stem cell rescue.
* Key Responsibilities (Prepares and administers therapies under the direction): Manages symptoms/toxicities/health abnormalities related to the intense high dose therapy, stem cell rescue and rehabilitation following rescue in collaboration with transplant physician and/ supervisor.
* Key Responsibilities (Facilitates clinical operations and patient care):Reports data to company for Transplant related registries and appropriate bodies, International Autologous and Blood and Marrow Transplant Registries. Incorporates company Transplant Network recommendations into clinical practice as assigned.
* Minimum Job Qualifications: In the bone marrow or hematopoietic stem cell transplant setting
* Key Responsibilities (Prepares and administers therapies under the direction):
* Programs portable infusion pumps for continuous drug delivery and provides instruction to the patient and/or caregiver in the use of the pump at home.
* Demonstrates knowledge of ambulatory infusion pump use and maintenance, cleaning pumps after use, and proper documentation of pump usage.
Keywords: US Oncology, Inc, Fort Worth , RN I - Med Surg, Healthcare , Granbury, Texas
here to apply!