Registered Nurse (RN) - Med Surg
Company: Vitas Healthcare
Location: Fort Worth
Posted on: May 25, 2023
Registered Nurse (RN)PRIMARY FUNCTION
The Registered Nurse, RN, is a member of the interdisciplinary team who work together to meet the physical, medical, psychosocial, emotional and spiritual needs of hospice patients and families facing terminal illness and bereavement. The Registered Nurse, RN, is designated to provide coordination of care, ensure continuous assessment of each patients and family's needs and implementation of the interdisciplinary plan of care.
a. Case Management and Supervision for Registered Nurse, RN
1. Registered Nurse, RN, follows VITAS policies and standards (See VITAS Standards Manual) and practices within the scope of the RN license and has knowledge of hospice eligibility requirements
2. Registered Nurse, RN, reports any request to practice outside of scope of license to the manager/supervisor
3. Registered Nurse, RN, performs supervision of (VITAS employed and contracted) nursing tasks delegated to Hospice Aides, Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurses (and contracted Registered Nurses) and Volunteers per the plan of care
4. Registered Nurse, RN, completes initial and ongoing comprehensive assessments including physical, psychosocial, spiritual, and bereavement in order to provide palliation of end-of-life symptoms
5. Registered Nurse, RN, appropriately identifies/utilizes resources, referrals such as PT, OT, Home Health, Dietary, Pharmacy, Supplies, Home Medical Equipment, and other visits/consults
6. Registered Nurse, RN, completes documentation at the time of the event and at the location of care unless otherwise directed
7. Registered Nurse, RN, provides education and training to patients, families, caregivers and referral sources in the care of the patient, including pain management
8. Registered Nurse, RN, participates in patient care meetings as assigned
9. Registered Nurse, RN, participates in weekly team meetings
10. Registered Nurse, RN, provides effective communication/shift reports through written, verbal, reporting and body language
11. Registered Nurse, RN, participates in bereavement support
12. Registered Nurse, RN, participates in the on-call rotation and/or provides shifts during non-business hours such as evenings, weekends and holidays based upon program-identified needs
13. Registered Nurse, RN, provides visits/shifts in program coverage area
14. Registered Nurse, RN, works with IDG to develop, coordinate, and follow the patients individualized plan of care
15. Registered Nurse, RN, obtains physician orders when necessary
16. Registered Nurse, RN, provides those services requiring substantial and specialized nursing skill
17. Registered Nurse, RN, evaluates the outcome of services
18. Registered Nurse, RN, appropriately delegates nursing tasks to Hospice Aides/Homemakers, Volunteers, and Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurses
a) Connecticut: For activities other than those listed in section 19-13D69(d)(3) of the Connecticut Department of Public Health delegated to a Hospice/Homemaker, the RN will document in the clinical record that:
i. All factors pertinent to the patient's safety, including the competence of the Hospice Aide/Homemaker have been assessed
ii. Determination that this activity can be delegated safely to a Hospice Aide/Homemaker
19. Registered Nurse, RN, provides nursing care including nursing tasks that may be delegated to other roles such as LPNs, HAs and Volunteers
20. Registered Nurse, RN, participates in and monitors patient and family care compliance activities
21. Registered Nurse, RN, professionally manages/coordinates the hospice plan of care
22. Registered Nurse, RN, provides and follows infection control practices
23. Registered Nurse, RN, delivers care in accordance with the patients plan of care.
i. Provides primary nursing care for inpatient and continuous care patients as assigned.
b. Quality Improvement
a. Registered Nurse, RN, participates in the Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement (QAPI) Program and related activities as assigned. For the Registered Nurse, RN, this may include, but is not limited to:
b. Registered Nurse, RN, participation in Performance Improvement Project(s) (PIP)
c. Registered Nurse, RN, gathering clinical data which is used for quality measures
c. Professional Development
a. Registered Nurse, RN, develops and achieves professional growth goals and objectives personally and per Team Manager reviews
b. Registered Nurse, RN, responsible for attending orientation and regularly scheduled in-services/educational conferences as assigned
c. Registered Nurse, RN, participates in orientation of Hospice Aides, Volunteers and other IDG members as assigned
d. Registered Nurse, RN, participates in training activities internally within VITAS and externally as assigned
e. Registered Nurse, RN, provides customer service
f. Registered Nurse, RN, maintains focus on the patient and family experience of care
g. Registered Nurse, RN, serves as a patient and family advocate
h. Registered Nurse, RN, reports patient/family/customer complaints to Team Manager
i. Registered Nurse, RN, participates in patient/family/customer conflict resolution as applicable
j. Registered Nurse, RN, represents the nursing profession, the VITAS site/location and VITAS overall in a positive manner
a. Registered Nurse, RN, has reliable transportation with adequate insurance coverage for driver and passengers.
b. Registered Nurse, RN, has telephone available (cellular or land line)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands for the Registered Nurse, RN described in this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of the Registered Nurse, RN, the employee is regularly required to:
1. Assist in lifting and transferring patients, as required.
2. Lift objects in excess of 20 pounds
3. Stand or walk in excess of one hour per day
4. Talk and hear
Specific vision abilities required for the Registered Nurse, RN include:
1. Close vision
2. Distance vision
3. Ability to adjust focus
The Registered Nurse, RN will be required to sit and stoop, kneel, and crouch.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE REGISTERED NURSE, RN
1. Currently licensed to practice nursing in the state where the VITAS program is located.
2. A minimum of two years of nursing experience in hospice, home health, or community health in the last five years.
3. Equivalent experience or licensure may be considered
Reports directly to the Team Manager.
Registered Nurse (RN)PRIMARY FUNCTION
Keywords: Vitas Healthcare, Fort Worth , Registered Nurse (RN) - Med Surg, Healthcare , Fort Worth, Texas
here to apply!